Monday, January 24, 2011

Cauliflower? Yes please!

I've had a new discovery and I love it!  Saturday night I made Chicken Alfredo but with cauliflower.  Let me tell you, I couldn't even tell it had cauliflower in it and it tasted sooooo good!  I cut up and cooked a whole head of cauliflower, then puréed it to a creamy consistency.  Here is the recipe I did... I'm telling you you'll love this healthier alternative!

1 head of Cauliflower (pureed makes about 3-4cups)

1 small oinion
2 cloves of garlic
3-4 tbs butter
3-4 tbs flour

1 cup half and half
1 cup Chicken broth
1/2-1 cup grated Parmesan or Romona cheese  
salt and pepper to taste.

Cut up cauliflower cook in water with a little bit of salt and pepper for about 10 mins or until soft with the lid on.  Then cook with lid off until the water is almost gone.  While the cauliflower is cooking I sauteed the onions and garlic in a little butter until soft.  Once the cauliflower is done I put in a blender or you can use a hand blender add the onions and garlic to the cauliflower then blend until creamy.

Now in a sauce pan create a Rue by melting the butter then add the flour and whisk it. let the flour cook for a min to cook out the flour taste.  Then whisk in the cauliflower mixture, half and half, and chicken broth.  I also added some salt and pepper.  Once it has thickened then add the cheese and salt again to taste.

You can add in chicken and broccoli too like I did.

This recipe feeds 5-7 people.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

4 comments:

Robyn said...

I have already stolen this and posted it on my blog. :)

Shelli said...

Yum! I'm always looking for healthy alternatives.

Unknown said...

Robyn I will allow it!

Shelli this is a really good one, you can even use cauliflower in mac and cheese I hear it is also really good. :)

Ashley said...

Hmm this seems like a sneaky way so get veggies into your kids. I must try this.